Tuesday, December 13, 2011

New Christmas Cookies - Lumps of Coal

I saw this idea on eighteen25 and I thought it would be a perfect funny cookie to take to the cookie walk.  So I had Ben pick up some black food gel at Joann's on his way home last week, and I made them at the last minute.  They were so easy because they're basically rice krispy treats!

I loved the label that they had created at eighteen25, but I wanted to package mine as cheap as possible in plastic bags.  So I modified their label to make it longer.  I'm sure Becky could have whipped it up in Photoshop in two minutes, but it took me an hour.  :(  But I think it was worth it.  I'm definitely making these again next year!

Lumps of Coal
makes about 70 small lumps


1 10.5oz bag of mini-marshmallows
4 tbsp butter or margarine
4 cups Rice Krispies
black food gel

Melt the butter and the marshmallows in a large microwave safe mixing bowl.  When completely melted, stir in black food gel until the mixture looks black and not purple.  I think I used half of the little jar.  Then stir in Rice Krispies.  Place on parchment paper in small, odd-shaped lumps.  It helps if you oil your finger, otherwise it will be very sticky.  Let harden for a few hours.  Package in snack-size ziploc bags, I put 5 lumps in each bag.  Then print out label, and staple to the bag on each side.  So easy!  So cute!  So funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment