Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tilapia in the Crockpot

I have decided that we need to eat more fish and salad, so I'm trying to cook one new fish dish and create one new salad recipe each week.  I've found a lot of inspiration on pinterest.  But we'll see how long this lasts.

My newest discovery is that you can cook tilapia in the crockpot, and it's really good!  Who would have thought?  I have done it twice now, and both time were successful.  I got the idea from A Year of Slow Cooking,  Here's how you do it:

Lay out a large sheet of aluminum foil.  Place three frozen tilapia fillets (from Costco) centered on the aluminum foil.  Cover with your choice of topping.  Wrap the ends of the foil together to make a packet.  Put the packet in the bottom of the crockpot.  Turn the crockpot on high for two hours.  Done!  That's it!  I can make up the packets during snack time, and they're done perfectly at dinner time with absolutely no other work needed!  Oh, and cooking tilapia like this does NOT make your house smell like fish.

Last week, I covered the tilapia with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, a drizzle of honey, and about half a can of mandarin oranges (drained).  Ben and I agreed that was delicious, and we will definitely make it again.  Amelia even ate it, and said that it tasted like chicken.  I would venture to say even Jane might like this fish!

This week, I covered the tilapia with a little bit of pesto.  It was good, but some of the delicious pesto flavor got lost in the cooking (maybe because the oil separated out a bit?).


How do you take a good picture of fish with a green sauce in the night-time in the middle of winter?  I have no idea.  Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment