Friday, February 10, 2012

Making Snowflakes

Amelia and I had made coffee filter snowflakes a few weeks ago, and she was able to use her safety scissors pretty well with me holding the folded up paper.  She really liked unfolding them to see her designs.  So when I saw this idea at Mom to Two Posh Little Divas I knew we had to try it.

Amelia enjoyed using her bingo markers ($1 each at Dollar Tree!) to color the coffee filters and then made all the cuts herself.


I think they turned out really pretty!  Amelia liked to try to figure out what the snowflakes looked like after they were unfolded; she liked to find smiley faces in them.  We sent some to Grandma to make her smile.

But making tortilla snowflakes was really the highlight of this activity.  I'd never thought of that before, and I think it was a genius idea!  We used regular flour tortillas and folded them in quarters.  Very carefully, Amelia used the kitchen shears to snip triangles out of the tortilla.  Then we unfolded them, brushed them with melted butter, and sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar.  Finally, we baked them for 8 minutes at 350F.  They were a big hit!

This one definitely looks like a smiley face!




 

3 comments:

  1. Shoot! I went to the dollar store today and meant to pick up some of those paint things and totally forgot! Boo! What section are they in?

    Those tortilla snowflakes look so much fun (and yummy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tortilla snowflake idea. Too bad Abigail is so young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky - I think the Bingo markers were over by the craft supplies in my Dollar Tree. And they are definitely ink markers, not paint. The ink bleeds very nicely into the multiple layers of the coffee filter, which is why it works well for this project. Maybe you are thinking of something different?

    Julie - yup, probably hard tortilla chunks would be a little dangerous for Abigail right now. Is she starting to eat more finger foods now?

    ReplyDelete