Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!


Megan initially wanted to be Cinderella this year, but we talked her into Tinkerbell, because Tinkerbell is truly her favorite character.  Jane and I made her dress, we borrowed the wings from Natalie, and I glitter glued her shoes myself.  We had a little fight about her wearing the shoes at the first Halloween party we went to, but by today, she was excited to wear them.  They shed glitter EVERYWHERE.


Amelia always knew she wanted to be Jessie.  Jane and I made her dress, too.  I am so thankful Jane has a serger that she can bring to our house.  :)  Amelia says that next year she's going to be a cat.  We'll see if that changes in a year.


I thought it would be cute to get a photo of a fairy in my garden, but my fairy was being a little shy.  So instead I have a photo of a cowgirl.


Both girls were really good about saying "Trick or treat!" and "Thank you" this year.  Megan even added "Happy Halloween!" this year.  Everyone said how cute they were.  It was 48 outside when we started trick-or-treating at 5pm, but the girls stayed pretty warm with two shirts and two pairs of leggings/tights each.   We spent a half hour walking around our block, and then came home to warm up with some hot chocolate.


After we got home, the girls dumped all their candy on the floor so they could sort through it.  I let them keep all the pretzels, fruit snacks, rings, crayons and stickers, but told them they could only keep 10 pieces of candy.  (That sounds kind of terrible, but they also got candy from Mom & Dad, from our friend in a Boo Bag, from two girls at playgroup, and from preschool, so they really had a lot!)  The rest we're going to take to the toy store in Glen Carbon; they have a candy buy back program where they'll give you a coupon for $5 off a toy purchase in exchange for at least a pound of candy.  Good deal!  I told the girls they could each pick out a small toy and they were super excited.


One lady in our neighborhood handed out ice pops, which I thought was very creative.  We gave out Reese's peanut butter cups, butterfingers, tootsie pops, animal crackers, goldfish and fruit snacks.  I'd planned for the non-candy items to be for the littler kids, but the bigger kids were pretty excited about them, too.  We went through almost all our treats, we only have a few Butterfingers left (which of course are my favorite).  All of the trick-or-treaters we had came between 5:30 and 6:30.  Very different from the Chicago area.

1 comment:

  1. How did you get the wings to stay up?

    Where did you get Amelia's boots? Did she have some already?

    ReplyDelete